Re: TR6 oil pressure gauge

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 oil pressure gauge
From: "G. Osmundsen" <gosmund@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 02:05:35 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Malcolm Walker wrote:

> As the oil PSI is only really indicative of "broken oil pump", "no oil",
> or "worn out engine", the accuracy is not paramount.
>
> -Malcolm

Malcolm, thanks for the response, yes I remember my physics now,
will probably pass on the oil on the carpet bleeding :-).   But I must
take issue with your "idiot lite" description of the purpose of the
gauge. I use my oil pressure gauge(like I feel most of us do) as one of
the most telling barometers of engine condition; from a cold overnight
start, to having run 50 miles hard in 100 deg weather, I know exactly
where my baby should be reading.  I keep a close watch on it and
investigate any deviations from the norm.
I also expect to see some changes in the oil pressure "dynamics" after
renewing some bearings.
Have we finally reached the point that even the beautiful analog
gauges are being interpreted digitally as "go" or "no-go"?
Skip Osmundsen '76 TR6
               '60 TR3A