Re: TR6 oil pressure gauge

To: "G. Osmundsen" <gosmund@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 oil pressure gauge
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:12:24 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, G. Osmundsen wrote:

> question. Do I need to worry about the fact that air may have entered
> into the oil pressure line or gauge as it was disassembled?  Seems like
> this would be as inevitable as when brake lines are disassembled. Since
> there are no warnings in the Bentley I'll assume that it's OK to simply
> reassemble everything and not worry about it. Anyone care to comment?

There won't be any problem due to air in the capillary tube.  The air (if
any) will compress when the oil pressurizes it, but it will be at the same
pressure - the only indication of air in the line might be residual
pressure after shutdown (but I doubt it)

If you really feel paranoid, bleed the fitting- put the gauge on lightly
(just until the fitting is snug), start the engine, loosen the fitting
until oil gooshes out and gets all over the carpet, do it up, shut off
engine, tighten fitting.  Personally, I'd take my chances with air-in-the
lines.

As the oil PSI is only really indicative of "broken oil pump", "no oil",
or "worn out engine", the accuracy is not paramount.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm