crappy polyurethane bushings?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: crappy polyurethane bushings?
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:22:53 -0400

I replaced the front suspension bushings on my GT-6 with polyurethane bushings
this spring.  The rubber OEM bushings lasted 24 years.  The replacement rubber
ones lasted 3.5 years.  THe new polyurethanes are showing signs of yeilding
(lower control arms both shifted rearward about 1/32 in.+  and the  forward
pivot on the L/S lower arm is nonconcentric - contol arm to the pivot bolt by
about 1/8 in.)  after 7 weeks of use, only 2100 miles!  I bought the
polyurethane bushings from BPNW.  Has anyone else bought the Spit/GT-6 bushings
from them and do the bushings appear concentric to the pivot bolts?  THis
appears to be only on the lower control arms.  I thought I would ask here first
before I contact BPNW.

I have a leftover stick of Delrin that I bought to machine the transverse leaf
spring buttons (TRF has had these buttons on B/O for over 2 years, I got tirted
of waiting) and I plan on machining my own bushings for the lower control arms.
How much harsher will the ride actually be with  hard plastic bushings?  I did
not perceive a differance between the rubber and the polyurethane bushings