Re: Sparton Air Horns on my TR4A IRS? Where to mount?

To: tom_winslow@email.msn.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sparton Air Horns on my TR4A IRS? Where to mount?
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:19:31 PDT

>From: "Tom Winslow" <tom_winslow@email.msn.com>
>Subject: Sparton Air Horns on my TR4A IRS? Where to mount?
>Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:30:47 -0400
>
>When the lady backed into our 1966 TR4A earlier this year at an Atlanta
>Cracker Barrel, I used my horn - but to no avail. The l'il horn was more of
>a whimper that it was a real horn. Well, I do not plan to be trampled over
>again. I just bought a set of Sparton Air Horns on eBay. The trumpets are
>7-1/2" and 10". Now I need to figure out the best mounting location under
>the hood. I need to suggestions. One thought is to make a custom bracket
>that would bolt under the existing horn. The Air Horns could then be
>mounted
>forward and pointed downward.
>
>Anyone out there 'been there and done that'?
>
>I am going to use a small marine compressor and stainless steel tank. They

    Yup,

    Been there... done that... I bought a set of Italian air horns
"gauaranteed to make YOUR car sound like a Maserati" from MG     Mitten
(oldtimers remember them?). I mounted the horns on the
    same location that the original TR horns occupied... pointed
forward. The horns are  plastic  with cheesey cheap sheet metal
    mounts.  Despite this they've been on the car since `87. My horns
    are a bit smaller than yours. I mounted the compressor on the right
    front wheel well  behind the head light bucket. The original
    compressor crapped out within a couple of months. I bought the
    next compressor from JC Whitney. It has been on the car ever
    since. The horns opperate directly from the compressor, without a
    tank.

    Don't put too much faith in the air horns. I had a kid back into my
    brand new Mazda a few years ago. I was in a parking lot and
    trapped between two othe cars, with nowhere to go. I too was
    leaning on my horn up to the point of impact. When he continued
    to push on my fender I got out of the car and tapped him on the
    shoulder to get his attention. He was listening to some heavy metal
    on his walkman and trying to read the traffic ticket attached to his
    windsheild.

     Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
1962 TR4 (CT4852L)