Re: TR3 mystery bolts

Subject: Re: TR3 mystery bolts
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 19:08:46 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Guess I missed the original question.  Anyway, the story I've always
heard is that those bolts were for the 'valve' unit for the factory
optional radio.  I've never even seen a picture of one, but supposedly
on special order, the factory would supply a tube radio, broadcast AM
with optional SW, with a remote control head.  (Remote control tube
radios were also available on some US cars in the 50's.)  On my LHD
TR3A, there is also a cutout in the RHS kick panel, for a single
speaker.  (Horrible location, as any dirt or water that finds it's way
past the seal inside the front fender, will wind up on the back of the
speaker.)

I don't know what happened on RHD cars, since there are no matching
bolts on the LHS of a LHD car, and it doesn't look like there would be
room behind the pedals.  Perhaps the optional radio was only for LHD
cars ?

BTW, AFAIK, TR3's have neither voltage stabilizers nor brake boosters.
The only non-mechanical gauge is the fuel gauge, which is the 'double
balanced' type that doesn't require a regulated voltage.

Randall