Re: lubricating Speedo cable

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "McEwen, Art" <Art.McEwen@moh.gov.on.ca>
Subject: Re: lubricating Speedo cable
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:38:38 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"

> While my TR3A gearbox is at the shop I thought I'd take the
opportunity to
> re-lubricate the speedometer cable in an attempt to correct the
Speedo.
> It's currently 10-20 mph too high at speed and I'm told that's because
of a
> lack of graphite in the cable (see question 2).  However I have 2
questions:

> 1)  How the &^@(^ do I get the graphite stuff through the entire
length of
> the cable?

Stick the tube up tight against the cable sheath and squeeze.  It helps
to hold the end up and shake the graphite down through the cable sheath.

> 2)  How would a lack of lubrication result in a reading higher then
actual?
> Wouldn't heat/friction reduce the speed the cable spins?

It won't and no.  The lack of lubrication may make your speedo jumpy, as
the cable grabs and releases.  Heat/ friction will eventually slow the
cable... to a dead stop.

The reason your speedo is reading high is that the spinning magnet
assembly is too close to the needle thingy.  This can be caused by wear
in the speedo, or by a cable forcing the magnet assembly too far
forward.  Maybe someone else has an easy way to tell which problem is
the culprit.

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6  -mine
'71 TR6  -in my garage
'70 MGB GT  -ours
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."