Cracking rubber boots

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cracking rubber boots
From: "Amatruda, Andy" <aamatruda@email.mc.ti.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:42:41 -0400
I am in the final throws of installing my thoroughly rebuilt engine into my
TR4A.  Shipwrights disease abounds, but as most of us know, that is to be
expected.  That said, one area I was particularly disappointed with,
however, were the relatively "new" rubber boots on both the steering rack
and the half shaft on the rear end.   The rubber was cracked with large
splits at the O.D. of the bellows in many places.  I wonder if this is the
right rubber for the job.  The rack was rebuilt at TRF about 6 years ago and
has not seen much in the way of actual miles.  The half shafts are about 3
to 4 years old.  The car hasn't been driven in the last 2 years, so again,
not many miles.  I replaced the boots on the steering rack since I had the
rack part way out to install the engine.  I noticed that the replacement
boots had the same part number as the cracked ones I replaced (also from
TRF).  I still need to do the half shafts and I am concerned that the
replacements may have the same abbreviated life.

Anyone out there experiencing the same problems?  Has anyone seen
differences in the quality/life of the boots offered from different
suppliers?

Andy Amatruda
1967 TR4A
CTC72209