Spit assembled in Belgium

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spit assembled in Belgium
From: "Tom Ambrose" <tambrose@tir.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 17:04:18 -0400charset="Windows-1252"
As mentioned in a previous post, I am disassembling a 1973 or 1974 Spitfire.
On one metal tag which was located inside driver's door, the build date is
Oct. 1974; manufactured in Coventry, but assembled in Belgium. Inside the
passenger door, on the  tyres data, it says that it is a "SPIT IV" from
1973. The commission number is '1FM 13693 IU'. On the driver's side the
number is '631701.'

The reason I bring this up is that while I find it very interesting in
itself, I need a rear axle for one of my Mark IVs. Could this car be one of
those 1500s built on a Mark IV chassis? There was a discussion on this list
a few years ago about that possibility. I think Doug Mitchell (sorry if it
was someone  else) brought it up last time.

Tom Ambrose
Michigan