Re: TR6 or TR4 - which to buy?

To: Ross Vincenti <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 or TR4 - which to buy?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 02:18:11 -0600
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

Ross Vincenti wrote:

>      Scions:
>
>      I have been following this thread with great interest as I have been
>      looking for an early TR6 to replace the now departed Spit.  I dare say
>      I have been swayed not only by the passion of the TR4 crowd (am I the
>      only one to notice that far more 4 owners piped up about the virtues
>      of their cars than 6 owners?), but also by the common sense points as
>      well (brute torque, "hairy chested" British car feel, comparable
>      horsepower, etc.)

I first owned a Spit (a `63 Spitfire 4), and after that one's demise
(not at my hands, I assure you), I bought a live-axle `62 TR4 for about
$900 (those _were_ the days!). I drove hell out of the car for three
years and did nothing more to it than replace the front suspension and
rear lever shocks and odds and ends and keep it tuned. And I had a lot
of fun with it. Eventually, it started to push a lot of oil, began to
foul plugs, and I generally went through it with a great deal of
enthusiasm, but with very little accompanying experience, in a free
summer I had before graduate school. I did all sorts of horrible things
to the car from lack of experience, and it still started and ran
virtually all the time. <g> After a few years, I tore it down, and
discovered that (long story--I'd previously rebuilt the engine in my
brother-in-laws' basement, and there was occasionally some wine
involved), I'd reversed the bearing caps on the rods... #1 on #4, etc.,
etc. And, I marveled at how the engine survived for years with the
thrashing I gave it. And, given that it was a three-bearing crank, it
was even more amazing.

I look at the TR6 and think, not bad, but a derivative design... the TR4
or 4A would be more fun, and the body lines are a bit more classic than
the those of the TR6.

I agree with your impressions of the styling. The best of both worlds, I
think, is the TR250, but, admittedly, there were not many built, and
their availability today is quite limited. I'm still looking for that
very good deal on a TR250. <g> Hope I beat you to it when you figure out
that the TR250 is a great compromise. <smile>

Cheers.