Re: Triumph and Tragedy

To: Ross Vincenti <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph and Tragedy
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:09:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "iron_horse819@yahoo.com" <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Ross Vincenti wrote:

>      [SNIP]I'm quite sure that all of you know what happened now.  I made
>      it from Birmingham, AL to about 50 miles from my home in
>      Arkansas(distance traveled 356 miles) before that wheel came off. As
>      it came off, it tore the fiberglass rear fender off.[SNIP]
>      +++++++++++++
>      Fiberglass?  Okay, am I missing something here?  Did Triumph ever
>      build TR4s out of fiberglass?

Yes and  no- the TRX (race car- maybe it was the TRS?) had a glassfibre
body and looked a bit like the TR4/TR3/Italia/Spitfire (depending on what
part you looked at).  There were only 3 of those, so don't expect to see
one tooling down the interstate.  And it was built by the same guys that
made the TR4s ;-)

You can also get aftermarket glassfiber wings (er, fiberglass fenders) for
racing purposes (they are lighter, and cheaper, than steel)

Raymond: I suspect that replacing or repairing the fender will be much
easier than replacing/repairing the wheel.  Hope you still have to broken
bits!  Fiberglass doesn't age like steel, new resin should stick just
fine- however I've seen ads for f/g fenders in the UK triumph magazines,
so replacement is also an option.

You can also switch back to steel fenders.  Up to you.  I'd leave the
fiberglass ones on, it gives the car a more interesting history.  ("Yes,
this car was a full decked-out race car, but I threw out all the race bits
and returned it to pristine stock condition"- come on, you should at least
leave the telltale signs in there- I have a heel-toe gas pedal in my TR4)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm