Re: Mounting tires

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mounting tires
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:55:21 -0700
Skip,

The mag machine is the machine used for mounting tires on a mag wheel. Mag
wheels actually refer to any type of alloy wheel. Typically today, most mag
wheels are aluminum or a magnesium/aluminum alloy wheel. The name mag refers to
magnesium(the first most popular type of non-steel) alloy rim available back in
the 50's or 60's. It my understanding that magnesium has a fairly low flash(ie.
they burn easily)point. Therefore, aluminum/magnesium wheels were developed to
avoid this problem. I read Bob Langs article as well and when I went to get
tires for the first time I asked for the mag machine and the tire shop said
that is the only machine they have and they use it for both steel and alloy(or
mag) rims(or wheels). This might not be the case in all shops so ask.