Re: Major TR250 progress and some questions (seats, body, IL registratio

To: sanborn@net1plus.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Major TR250 progress and some questions (seats, body, IL registration)
From: greenman62@hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 06:01:41 PDT
The drawing
>shows the cables being brought together to single hook and the car body up
>off the frame and engine.
>
>I have no idea whether this is smart or not but that is what they say in
>the manual.  If you opened the doors.... I would guess that the whole thing
>could fold.

     Not so... there's enough structural rigidity in the tub to
     keep it from "folding".... Though you have to be real careful
     about how you handle the the tub, you could tweak it a mite.

     The Green Man's tub came from a TR4a (yes, they do fit on a 4
     frame). I bought it from a guy in California who put
     Hunter/Hathaway kit bodies on TR frames. I received the tub in a
     crate sans everything but the right front, left rear fenders and
     the dash. I schlepped the tub to the sand blaster on the back of
     a Chevy half-ton and did most of the "repair" body work (the
     donor car had been hit a couple of times, I think) while it hung
     on a frame made from a bed frame (ignorance can be a wonderful
     thing). When it came time to mount the tub to the frame I had a
     hell of a time getting the doors to align. Whether the tub came
     to me out of true, based on its history, I think that was the
     case. Or whether I twisted it in my ministrations (which is
     entirely possible),I don't know. The doors are close but not
     right. Still, I didn't plan for the Green Man to be a show car.

     In any case I would leave the doors on and closed if you are
     removing the tub from the frame. Or make brackets of either wood
     or angle iron and either spot weld or bolt them across the gap
     (with the doors closed), prior to taking the doors off and then
     removing the tub from the frame.

     Greg "I have seen the DPO... And he is me!" Petrolati

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
1962 TR4 (CT4852L)