Re: TR3 Wheels/hub caps

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Wheels/hub caps
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:53:44 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: tr <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Michael Ferguson wrote:

> Managed to get my hands on a set of steel wheels as replacements for my
> deceased wires, but still need a set of hub caps. Would like to find a
> set that has decent (not necessarily perfect, but very good) chrome.
> Please reply off-list with condition and price if you have a set
> available. Thanks.

Don't forget to replace the wheel lug studs when you switch to steel
wheels.  The wire wheel studs are too short and won't hold your wheels on
properly.

The front ones press out and in, but the rear ones are threaded in then
peened over.  I broke a rear stud and had to do some awkward grinding with
yon Dremel tool to get the squashed part "off".  I put the new stud in
with JB weld, hasn't budged.  (I cleaned both parts with carb cleaner
first- it leaves no residue)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm