Re: ammeters and ammeter shunts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ammeters and ammeter shunts
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:19:44 EST
In a message dated 2/25/99 8:36:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
randallyoung@earthlink.net writes:

> 3) I took an easier way : using the headlights as a test load, I used "cut
>  and try" to get a 50% reading.  Since the factory ammeter is a simple
>  "moving vane" type, it has a few turns of fairly heavy copper wire.  So, an
>  inch or so of 12 gauge copper should get you pretty close.  In my case, I
>  used steel baling wire (22 gauge ?) that was handy, and added multiple
>  strands to get the ratio I wanted.  Two strands were pretty close, and
>  that's what I use.  By the time I was finished, the battery was run down
>  enough to see that the full alternator output just about moved the needle
>  to the 30 mark.

Randall,

That's the "lab" method I was looking for!  That should be do-able at home.
You're right, it doesn't matter what the actual current is, just keep working
till the reading is reduced in half, whatever it was.

>  4) I can't see that the exact ammeter reading is of any real value anyway.
>   As long as the maximum current is near the limit of the meter, who cares
>  if it's 40 amps or 80 amps ?  The important thing is that the reading is
>  near zero, except when charging the battery (or running those pesky horns
>  <g>)

Agreed, as long as it's not TOO far off.

>  BTW, does Alcoa TN have anything to do with the ALuminum COmpany of
America?

Yup! At one time, this was a "company" town. It has grown to the point that
Alcoa is no longer the dominate employer, but they still have a pretty good
presence here. Their size still keeps my property taxes down.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74