Re: ammeters and ammeter shunts

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: ammeters and ammeter shunts
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:02:26 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In order to make an ammeter that won't get very hot in operation or cause a
significant voltage drop across it, the resistance of the meter must be very
small.

To keep the voltage drop across a 30 amp meter to 1/10 of a volt, the resistance
of the meter must be 0.003333 ohms. This might be even lower than the contact
resistance of your test probes.

Current measurement circuits I've designed have used resistance's of 0.005 ohms
measure currents of up to 20 amps.

There's also the possibility that the ammeter is not a shunt type. Some ammeters
just wrap a few loops of heavy wire around a metal bar to generate the magnetic
field to move the meter needle. In a case like this, the resistance of the wire
is
not particularly relevant, since it's not the voltage drop across the wire that
matters, but the current flow. A shunt may not affect the meter in a linear
fashion.

George Richardson