Your alternator installation

To: <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Your alternator installation
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:24:44 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Randall,

I'm adding an electric fan to my TR3A and deleting the mechanical one and
it's hub too, just as you have done.  The electric fan I've selected pulls 8
amps and I am hoping to keep the generator, but.... I am concerned that I
will need to upgrade to an alternator.

My reason for this post is that I am concerned about melt-down of the wires
between the alternator, battery and ammeter, but only in the case where the
battery is dead (maximum alternator output).  With a dead battery and no
charger, ie. the car was push started, the amperage flowing through the
system could (maybe?) exceed the wiring capacity which was designed for a 28
amp generator.  Have you ever experienced any wiring damage and do you feel
that I should be concerned about the higher loads in the original wiring?
I'd rather not burn up an ammeter, but I'd risk it based on the price and
availability of them.

Thanks in advance,

Jack Brooks
TS69032L