RE: Your alternator installation

To: "TR-Masters, Dan" <DANMAS@aol.com>, <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Your alternator installation
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:38:27 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Randall and Dan,

As a summary for me and the list too....

The ammeter shunt, and Randall's many years of TR3 operation with an
alternator, have alleviated my concerns about wiring the alternator up in a
manner which will enable me to keep full ammeter function, albeit at
readings half (or whatever percentage I choose) of what is actually flowing
through the system.

The way I see it, Randall's "easy way" method to come up with a 50% reading
on the ammeter is to run a constant amperage load, such as the headlights.
Using a trial and error method, with several different wires, or a series of
strands to varying the load across the ammeter terminals, until the ammeter
in the car show a reading 50% of what it shows without the shunt.  A very
eloquent solution!

Randall, this is simple enough for even this Mechanical Engineer.  Now that
I have a full understanding of how I would install an alternator in my TR3A,
I am sure that the generator will be able to keep up with the new electric
fan and the alternator will not be needed.  ;-)

Thank you,

Jack Brooks
TS69032L
Hillsdale, NJ