Yet another O/D question

To: <reagntsj@ricochet.net>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Yet another O/D question
From: "Mark Gendron" <mister_toad@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:32:48 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
>Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:44:19 -0800
>From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
>
>Can anyone on the list tell me the overall length dimensions of the two
>different mainshafts: short (O/D) and long (non-O/D)? Or, can anyone
>give me an accurate dimension for how much either one protrudes from the
>back of the gearbox?

I converted my non-OD TR2 box to overdrive some years ago. I found that the
overdrive mainshaft was much shorter than the non-OD shaft, and the splines
at the output end of the shaft were smaller. The splines on the OD shaft fit
into the planetary gear assembly, while the splines on the non-OD shaft fit
into the flange that connects to the propshaft.

I just measured the gearbox extension from the non-OD configuration, and it
is about 12-3/4" long. The non-OD mainshaft should protrude about that
distance from the gearbox casing, give or take an inch. The OD mainshaft
would be several inches shorter, at least.