Re: TR-3A: Best place to buy Addco anti-roll bars?

To: vitesse@juno.com
Subject: Re: TR-3A: Best place to buy Addco anti-roll bars?
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:48:01 -0600 (CST)
Cc: jfcowan@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 vitesse@juno.com wrote:

> FWIW,
>
> I got my rear sway bar for my TR250 from J. C. Whitney for about half the
> cost of dealing direct with Addco......a kicker here..the sway bar came
> in an Addco box, had Addco on the directions....maybe it was an Addco!

        .... and HOW can we do it!!???????!!

                VOLUME!!!!!!!!!

        I bought my sway bars from JC's too, many years ago they ARE
        Addco bars... with rubber bushings...

        If you want to stiffen up the suspension a bit you may want to
        replace those rubber bushings with the "space age plastic ones
        from Addco directly, or possibly at your local auto parts store.
        I also replaced the connecting bolts with Grade 8 bolts after
        bending the ones they sent with the bars...

        Oh yes, be sure to check the bushings regularly, especially if
        you like to drive with (shall we say...) spirit. They do degrade.

        To add a bit of smoke to the sway bar conversation... A while back
        I installed a locker rear in the Green Man. At the time I had sway
        bars mounted both front and rear. It didn't take too long to dicover
        that under acceleration I had massive understeer... To the point
        that the car almost didn't answer the helm at all under power.
        I called the racer who I bought the locker from and let him know
        what was happening. His advice was to remove the swaybar from the
        FRONT...

        It sounded a bit goofy to me but, what the heck... He was the guy
        with the experience.

        Surprise... he was right!  I've had the same set up on my TR4 since
        `90 its great.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois