Re: Spit O/D switch in TR4?

To: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Subject: Re: Spit O/D switch in TR4?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:22:27 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I bought a GT 6 shift knob at Rimmers for my TR 6 , and as it seems not to
be a
>direct replacement (no thread at all), I will have to do some
modifications to
>fix it. An other problem is how to fix the cables on the chromed gear
lever . I
>really dont want to fix the cables with something like duct tape which would
>spoil appearance. Anyone got a good idea ?????
This is the stock, original way the GT's and Spitfires (and others probably
as well) mount the overdrive type of knob.  The shift lever is different
from non overdrive units and has a threaded section just as a standard
lever would but there are slots machined into it that match the knob (this
orients the knob the correct way)  It is retained on the lever by a tapered
(to match the knob shape) nut at the bottom, and a special, round nut with
two notches, that is installed inside the shift knob with a dog eared tool
(or very small needle nose pliers)  The wires feed through a hole in the
shift lever shaft itself to the switch which is secured to the plastic knob
cap by two tiny (easily lost) self tapping screws, which is "snapped" onto
the metal knob.  The hole inside the lever for the wires has an exit at the
bottom, somewhere around the area where it pivots in the extension housing,
to allow the wires to exit and connect to the various places required.  I
had to make a shift lever, with this hole in it for the GT when I installed
my overdrive because I couldn't find one available.  You need this type of
arrangement with this type of knob, and unfortunately, I don't see any
other neat, tidy way around it.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)