RE: TR-3A - Anti-roll bars

To: brooks@belcotech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR-3A - Anti-roll bars
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 07:33:06 -0500
Jack Brooks wrote (regarding sway bars for TR-3A's):

>John,
>
>Get the front one, but not the rear one.
>
>TR3's are notoriously tail happy.  Holding the front end down with an
>anti-sway bar will help make the back stick better.  My TR3A has just a
>front bar.

I agree completely.  I installed both a front and a rear (Amco) sway bar on
my TR-3A and found that the car oversteered badly.  I removed the rear bar
and got much better handling.  Incidentally, my TR-4 had what appeared to
be Amco front and rear bars on it when I bought it, and also oversteered
badly.  "Proper" sway bars (those who've looked under my TR-4 will know
what I'm talking about) have transformed that car completely.

cheers,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
email: rjl6n@virginia.edu