Re: TR4A B-post Repairs

To: Ben/Pam Zwissler <zwissler@hsonline.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A B-post Repairs
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:18:51 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Ben/Pam Zwissler wrote:

> I'm in the midst of replacing my floor pans and sills and have determined
> that the lower portion of the left side  B-post is not repairable.  Complete
> replacment B-posts are available for $200, but I noticed in the Practical
> Classics TR6 Restoration book they mentioned the availability of a B-post
> lower repair panel, see page 47 if you have the book.  They said they got
> the repair panel from a UK company call SW Classics.  This would save me a
> lot of time and hopefully some money.

Such a repair probably won't save you much time.  Which part of the B-post
is bad ("all of it")?  I had to refabricate my entire B-Post and couldn't
afford the money for a new one.  However, I was able to repair my A-Post
using bits of 20ga sheet steel and LOTS of patience.  (cut, test, cut,
test, cut, weld, remove, swear, adjust, weld, bend, weld, weld, etc.)

You can see what I did on:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/progress.htm

> A couple of questions.  First, how similar is the TR6 B-post to the TR4A?
> Second, has anyone dealt with SW Classics and know if they have an email or
> fax number?  I'm hoping I could use the TR6 part or that they have a TR4A
> part.  None of the US suppliers list a repair panel.

I think the backsides of the B-posts are the same, however the latching
mechanisms (ergo the front side too) are different.  I'm also pretty sure
that the lower part of the TR6 B-Post- the part that curves forward and
sticks to the top of the rocker- is different.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm