Re: TR6 Wheels

To: Bobby Whitaker <bjbrew@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Wheels
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 10:15:11 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Bobby Whitaker wrote:

> Robert,

Hello.

I'm cc'ing the triumphs list so I can start a flame war! ;-)

> I came across your message in the Triumph digest regarding tires and wheels
> for TR6's.
>
> How about a quick question?  Thanks in advance if you can help.
>
> You mentioned you had some American Racing four spoke wheels.  Would these
> be the same American Racing wheels that places like Sears sells?

Well, yes and no. American Racing wheels has changed a bit from the past.
It used to be a family owned business, and that was sold sometime in the
80's. The new business is a bit more focused that the old business. In
other words, cars like Triumphs are more or less left out in the cold...
sort of. And if you call them and ask them about selling you a set of
Formula Libras or one of the older styles, you'll get a resounding "NO!"
Although this could change - note that they "revived" the Torque-Thrust 5
spoke wheels in the semi-recent past. But don't hold your breath.

As someone else posted to the Triumphs list in the reccent past, there
were several types of 4 spoke American Racing mags... including "real
magnesium"! But most were aluminium. The wheels are considered by some to
be the "period piece" that sets thier car off, I happen to be one of
those folks.

In any case, these wheels - including the "Formula Libra" style have not
been manufactured for quite some time. As there is still a demand for
them, they can fetch more money than some newer wheels might cost.

I'll also point out that there are many sets out there that are
"incomplete" where one wheel was broken or bent and the owner is looking
for "one more" to complete the set. See, a set is probably worth upwards
of $750, but a single wheel will set you back $250 or so... it's a
seller's market, so to speak.

Oh, if you come across a complete set - BUY THEM. You can always sell
them on the triumphs list! I always carry a few hundred $$$ when I go to
Carlisle or the bigger shows, "just in case". Note: I was rewarded at
Lime Rock back in Septemger '98 with a set of 5.5 inch American Racing 4
spokes... those'll be great for the "rains".

> Also, is
> there some way to tell if a set of four bolt wheels will fit the TR6.  I
> thought by measuring the distance between the four studs and comparing this
> to a wheel of interest that this would tell me if they would fit my 6.

Well, there are two measurments that matter (actually four). For fitting
a wheel to your car, you must (of course) have the bolt pattern the same.
TR6's (all the big Triumphs, for that matter - up to the TR7) use a "4 by
four and a half" pattern. That means the lugs are all located on a circle
whose diameter is 4.5 inches. The second wheel measurement that matters
is the so-called "backspace". This is the distance from the lip of the
inner part of the wheel to the surface that mates with the hub that you
are attaching to. This number matters because it effects your track and
steering geometry. The third number is, of course, the diameter of the
wheel itself. A forth number would be the width of the rims...

> The
> reason I ask is that I was looking at a set of American Racing wheels at
> Sears one day and asked the salesperson if they would fit a TR6.  He had to
> call AR and they said no.

Two things - if a person had to look this up and then call the
manufacturer, you should run away from the place. Really. This stuff is
not rocket science, and a competent wheel/tire shop should be able to set
you straight.

That being said, I have looked into all sorts of possibilities for wheels
for TR6. There's not as much choice as you would have if you were buying
wheels for your Honda or VW... There are choices, but you need to be
careful that you get what you want.

So, I'll suggest that you look around for some used rims that come off of
a TR6. That way you'll know that they fit. Otherwise, keep asking around.

BTW, the backspace on a TR6 is around 4 inches. Any more than that, and
you'll have interference problems in the front - the wheel will very
likely hit the upper A arm attachment, particularly at full steering lock.

circle with a 4 inch (or slightly less) backspace. If you want 7 inch
rims (like you're autocrossing with huge Hooooooosiers in the 225/55 or
shorter/wider), then get them with "standard offset".

You get what you pay for with wheels, a good quality wheel will cost
money - but it will be worth it because they won't bend as easily and if
you take care of them they will likely outlast the car. If you buy cheap
wheels, you get - well, cheap wheels. If you are racing or autocrossing,
think about the safety factor and get the best wheels you can afford.

Last thing - if you are charting new waters, buy one wheel and try
mounting it on each corner and check for interference. That way you'll be
out $200 if it doesn't work out (as opposed to being out the replacement
cost of a full set-o-wheels.)

> Thanks for any info,
> Bobby Whitaker
> 1972 TR6 CC78127
> bjbrew@mindspring.com

regards,
rml
TR6's street, autocross and Nasty!
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |