Re: TR4 Vent Rebuilding - Materials Source

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Vent Rebuilding - Materials Source
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:41:40 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 sanborn@net1plus.com wrote:

> First question... Is there a source for the felt parts that
> are used to seal the front and form pads on the vent
> shutters.  Mine are very dirty and have shrunk over time. I
> need to cut new ones from an appropriate material in order
> to get an air seal and to have the right look.

Felt was difficult to find in such a grade and thickness.  I used 1/4"
foam (bought from a Foam Shop... specializing in mattresses, etc), dyed
black.  Non-original, yes, but you can't see it thru the vent and it does
seal fairly well (not perfect, but enough to stop drafts)

I "fastened" the foam onto the metal using hot glue.

If you like, I can mail you "enough" foam to do the whole lot.  Dye using
fabric dyes, or maybe shoe polish might work.  I paid $4 for a roll-end of
this stuff and there's no way I'll use it all up.  (It also happenes to be
a rather sickening shade of orange)

> Second.... Is there a way to replace the rubber gaskets at
> the back of the vent box??  The rubbers on mine are barely
> useable and I would like to replace them.

Can't help ya there.  My rubbers were also barely useable but I used them
anyway.  I stuck them back on the vent chambers using silicone and hoped
for the best :-)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm