Re: Silicone Brake Fluid vs DOT3 or 4

To: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid vs DOT3 or 4
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 10:51:51 -0800
Cc: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill,
I will have to weigh in on the side of Fred on this one.  I have never
soaked any brake parts before and don't recall ever seeing anything in
rebuild kits that recommend doing so.

However, I just took the time to read the instructions that came with my
master cylinder kit and it says to inspect the bore for pitting or
scoring.  Then it says, "THIS CYLINDER IS NOT TO BE HONED".  Guess what,
I honed both the brake and clutch masters and used those kits and for 2
years now I have had no problems.  I wonder if they put that in because
the cylinders are made of aluminum and excessive honing will take off
too much metal!!!

Regards,
Joe

--