Re: General exhaust question

To: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Subject: Re: General exhaust question
From: "Skip Gurnee." <skip47@home.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:44:11 -0800
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Scott Decker'" <sdecker@bellsouth.net>
Greg and everybody
No clue whether this is right from an engineering point of view, but I
can't resist:
Perhaps the loss of power could be in the tuning of the pipes.  The
negative pressure of one exhaust wave pulls the next wave out, and so
on, thereby creating less backpressure at the cylinder, thereby creating
more horsepower.  If the wave isn't there to pull, i.e. it's in another
pipe, the power is lost.  Oboy, lots of variables here; diameter of
pipe, length of pipe vs. length of exhaust wave, etc. etc. ad infinitum.
Any engineers out there wanna comment?
-S.