Re: TR4 tire recommendations sought

To: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TR4 tire recommendations sought
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 08:28:33 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
   I've got run out Hercules 185s on a solid axle TR-4A autocross wannabee
I bought recently.  It is lowered and has anti-roll bars fore and aft as
well as stiff springs all around.  It corners like nothing I have ever
driven in my life, excepting maybe a go-kart.  But it's rough as a cob on a
bumpy road.
   I have MIchelin X 165s on my totally standard TR-3A.  I doesn't corner
worth a damn.  It leans uncomfortably on the downhill curves and the Michys
hop around uphill curves. (Eventually I will add anti-roll bars).  I think
Michelins are a bad choice for TR-2,3,4-A's.  They last forever (how long
does it take you to put 40,000 miles on your car?), but they're rock hard
and just don't stick to the road like a softer tire would.  (But, I'm open
to different opinions on this one)
   John Cowan.

At 09:50 PM 1/29/99 +0000, you wrote:

>Dean
>
>I read somewhere  that to go above 165s is not worth the effort because
>it put additional strain on the suspension and can cause problems.  I
>have 165s on my 4 and it handles OK  (I also have uprated front springs
>and an anti roll bar)  Also - Moss's (UK) say that 'Wider tyres are not
>recommended as the flexibility of the side walls can actually reduce the
>car's ability to handle rather than improve it'    - I don't know if
>this is entirely true but I remember when I was a 22 year old driver of
>a go-faster Ford Anglia I could out corner Anglias with wide wheels
>because I had uprated my anti roll bar (sway bar) and put on 'normal'
>radial tyres.
>--
>Cheers
>Brian Johnson
>
>Internet bjohnson@mmm.com (work) or b.johnson@diamond.co.uk(home)
>
>1963  TR4   AFP503A / IZS 733(USA) - CT27216-L (now not L but O ) ex USA
>
>1954  TR2   46 BHX               TS554-O   UK Car
>1989  Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GLI
>Dean Mericas wrote:
>
>> There have been two references to tires for TR4s recently, and it
>> prompted me to post this inquiry.
>>
>> I will need to put a new set of tires on my TR4 soon.  The available
>> tires in the 165SR15 size are pretty limited, and I suspect none are
>> especially performance oriented.  I'd prefer to keep the OE disk
>> wheels and go with a larger size if that's possible.
>>
>> My current tires are Avons, and they are OK, but I'd appreciate
>> recommendations from other TR4 owners on suitable alternatives.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Dean Mericas, Ann Arbor, MI  (dmericas@limno.com)
>> 1965 TR4 (CT37089L)
>> 1973 Volvo 1800ES (0004553)
>> 1988 Saab 900S
>> 1991 Saab 9000T

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus movie reviews, articles and Left/Progressive links at:
                           http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan