TR250 resale value?

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR250 resale value?
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:44:06 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"
I've wanted a TR250 for some years and have patiently looked for one that
met my budget and was not too far beyond help.  Somewhere between basket
case and Concours. There are just few enough 250's out there that they
rarely come up for sale in my area.  I've found one but am unsure of what it
is really worth and am hoping for some advice from the list.  I'll briefly
describe its condition: The car appears complete.  The owner claims it runs
and was driven three months ago but the battery is dead (If I pursue the car
any further, I'll jump start it to confirm that it runs). It looks like
someone did a very bad attempt at an amateur restoration. It has a very BAD
paint job.  It looks like someone painted it at home with a can of Krylon.
It has overspray in the engine bay, mirrors, etc and has countless small
dings and dents showing under the paint.  The floors have rusted through and
someone put in some type of flimsy patch panels over the floors.  There is
rust bubbling through the left outer rocker panel towards the back.  Based
on this, I would assume that both sills have rust filled in with bondo under
that bad paint. The interior looks pretty good, ironically.  Looks like
that's where the PO spent the money (new seats, carpet, wood dash, etc.)  It
has an ugly aftermarket steering wheel. The car has wire wheels and red
lines and they appear to be in decent shape. Biggest problem is the body. I
have no experience with rust and am scared to death of it.  Living in Texas
all my life, I've been mercifully spared from it.  Anybody want to take a
stab at what a 250 is worth in the condition I've described?  What is a 250
worth in restored or excellent condition? Hemmings isn't much help.  There
was only one in the last issue. Thanks for the help, Greg Hutmacher