RE: TR4 tire recommendations sought

To: <dmericas@limno.com>
Subject: RE: TR4 tire recommendations sought
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 07:36:05 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dean,

I went through this tire routine earlier in the year for my TR3A.  I called
all the major manufacturers.  There are no performance tires in this size.
>From what I found, we're lucky there is still a choice of tires from the
major manufacturers.  There is a new Vredestein which MAY be close to being
a performance tire, I'm not sure, but everything else is basically sedan
class stuff.

I polled this list as well as the SAAB list; you might remember that,
getting hit on both lists. I found about 7 or 8 different tires.  The top
choices I found were the Dunlop SP20
http://www.dunloptire.com/tires/SP_20.html, a newly imported Vredestein (I
can't remember the model name, and the Cooper Sportmaster GLT
http://www.coopertire.com/tires/cooper/sportmas.htm.  The Vred wasn't
available just yet (it is now) but I selected the Cooper over the Dunlop,
based on my personal tire tread preferences.  I've run the Coopers the
latter half of the year and was happy with their performance, although they
are a little loud; not bad, just louder than the UniRoyals I had before.
I'm running the 165-15's on my TR3A, 4.5 inch wide wheels, 60 spokes.  I'll
probably get flamed for this, but...whereas the Cooper isn't a top name tire
like (name your favorite tire here), My TR3 ain't no Lamborghini either.
;-)  The Coopers howl a bit when you push them hard but they break smoothly
and predictably, a trait I like in my, slightly tail happy, TR3.

You may want to repoll the SAAB Sonnet guys too.  Someone may have bought a
set of the Vred's and have some knowledge of their performance.  I did get
some feedback from two SAAB listers who felt other Vred tires were harsh
riding.

Good luck!

Jack
TS69032L soon to be "O"