oil pressure on rebuilt motor

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil pressure on rebuilt motor
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:31:45 -0600
Cc: dmb@cisco.com
>I'm attempting to start my motor for the first time and I thought >I'd
>connect my oil pressure gage, remove the spark plugs, and crank
>the motor over until it developed oil pressure. Well I cranked
>for 5 minutes with 15s crank times alternated by 1 minute wait
>periods, and I fail to get any oil pressure. I removed the gage

When I rebuilt my Tr3, I did the same procedure and got oil pressure within
a few revolutions.  Sound like you have either an extremely worn engine or
oil pump, some restriction in the system, or broken shaft to the oil pump.
I have heard of folks pulling the dizzy and turning the pump with a drill
to build up oil pressure, but personally have never done it.  Also, are you
getting good rpm from the starter, takes a bit to get the oil flowing.
Richard