Re: Webers on TR6

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Webers on TR6
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 08:57:31 -0500
Robert M. Lang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'll bet you got other responses... hopefully there's nothing new here.
> But, what the heck.
>
> If you add DCOE 40's to a TR6 and then add:
>
> Header - this is a must. Free-flow exhaust helps too. Do you like to talk
> to your passenger when driving? If so - use caution with what you select
> for a free flow exhaust. Net HP gain - not too much.
>
> Electronic ignition - this is a must. You won't be able to get the car to
> run very well without it. At a min. use the Crane $100 unit. For more
> spark, try the Hi-6 or whatever it's called. Net HP gain - not too much. If
> you want true total tunability - then go for the Electromotive unit. That's
> not very streetable, though.
>
> Port Match - this is most def. worthwhile. I think I got something like 10%
> increase in airflow on my car. Really.
>
> Air Cleaner/Air Box - you should do this. Cold/cooler air is better for
> combustion. Plus you won't get wierd vapor lock or gas boil over in the
> carbs. Net HP gain - not much but you will get more reliability.
>
> At this point, you're talking about 120/125 HP with the stock cam. We're
> assuming you have a "federal US spec" cam here.
>
> Now - spend some real money.
>
> First, drop the fan and put in an electric. Net gain, about 6 - 8 HP.
>
> Pull the motor and yank out the crank. Get the thing dynamically balanced.
> Get the journals micro polished. Check the rods and balance/recondition.
> Got some extra cash? Bore that baby out to .030 or .040 over. Assemble,
> measure and take apart - get block "decked". You now have "reference" to
> calculate the total size of the combustion chamber. Once you reassemble,
> you'll have gained a little bit of HP because of the balance - but you're
> ready to build some power.
>
> You've now laid out about $2k, more or less. Maybe a bit more.
>
> Now, take the head to a good head shop. If they don't know what a TR6 is,
> go elsewhere. And as you may have guessed - we're now ready to free some HP
> from your motor. Get the head crack checked - no sense doing any work on
> this puppy if its cracked!
>
> Next step - mill the head. Go to no more then 9.5 : 1 for a streetable
> motor. Unless you have a fuel truck that can chase you around with some
> Avgas to refill from. You might be able to get away with 10:1, but if you
> aren't careful about where you fill up, you'll be sorry!
>
> This will net you some HP, maybe another 10 or so.
>
> Now you need a cam. The PI cam is something like .340 lift at the valve and
> 290 degrees of duration. With this setup, you're talking about 150 HP.
> There's a lot of grinds available that give more like .400 lift (the S2 or
> the Isky X19 grinds, for example) that don't go into the lumpy idle range
> of above 290 duration.
>
> Need more?
>
> Get the valves ground with a three angle valve grind. You have a new cam
> and the head is milled, so you need to do some work - might as well shorten
> [...]

Don't forget to have the flywheel lightened!  You can safely take 1/4 to 1/3 of
the
total weight off the backside of the flywheel.  (22 lbs stock - 17 lbs.
lightened)
Reducing rotating inertia is the biggest boost in acceleration for your buck
without
causing the stress of other engine internal mods such as raising compression.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars