Re: TR6 brake failure

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 brake failure
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 06:23:45 -0800
Thanks to Jim Higgins, Brian Kemp, R. John Lye, Andrew Mace and Michael T.
for the responses on the brake master cylinder.

Some were concerned that perhaps the leakage was somewhere other than the
master cylinder...I know that it's the master cylinder from the trail of
removed paint on the vaccuum booster beneath the cylinder itself.  I do not
find any leaks anywhere else... all wheel cylinders have been recently
rebuilt (within the last two years) and the car is driven on a daily basis,
so everything is kept "excercised."

Our Toyota had been doing this every winter for the last few years...
suddenly the reservoir would be nearly empty.  I kept watch on it and kept
it plenty full and everything was fine, except that THIS winter it started
leaking BAD.  I had to fill it every TWO DAYS!  I had finally had enough
and decided it was stupid to continue this way (or even to continue as long
as I had!!) and ordered a new master for it, installed it last Tuesday
night just in time for our trip across the state for the holidays.  Just
imagine my surprise when now, it turns out, I've got the EXACT same problem
with the TR6!!  I dunno 'bout you guys, but I'm not particularly FOND of
bleeding brakes.

What specifically is shrinking (in cold weather) to produce this?  The
seals?  The piston?  I ask this because R. John Lye indicated that he had
the same "winter" problem with his GT-6+ and now that he's had it
re-sleeved it no longer misbehaves.  If the seals are shrinking, then why
would a new sleeve (of brass) cure this specific problem?

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6