TR6 brake failure

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 brake failure
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:07:51 -0800
Hi folks.

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

The TR sat for several days while we were away and this morning I discover
that I have no brakes!!  AAAIIGGH!!

After carefully maneuvering back into the garage after my discovery, a
check of the fluid reservoir made it all too obvious.  The reservoir for
the front "circuit" was bone dry.  Now, this might not be surprising if the
master cylinder was as old as the car, but I installed this master cylinder
in probably 1989 or so (the new master came from TRF) and has no more than
about, oh, 20,000 miles on it.  And, to make matters worse, I had to
rebuild the damned thing only 6 months or so after I installed it!!  I
suppose that I should've raised hell with TRF.

So, now I suppose I'll just refill it, bleed it and watch it like a hawk
for a while and see what happens.  I'm thinking that a round-trip UPS
ticket to White Post Restorations for re-sleeving will be the way to go.

Have others had similar experiences with new brake masters?  I don't recall
if the TR6 cylinder is by Lockheed or Lucas/Girling, but perhaps it wasn't
a good idea for Lucas to get into making BRAKING systems!!

Any input always appreciated!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6