Re: TR6 brake failure

To: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 brake failure
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:33:23 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

> that I have no brakes...The reservoir for
> the front "circuit" was bone dry.  Now, this might not be surprising if the
> master cylinder was as old as the car, but I installed this master cylinder
> in probably 1989 or so (the new master came from TRF) and has no more than
> about, oh, 20,000 miles on it....

Well, be it 20,000 or 200,000 miles, it's still going on nearly 10 years.
Not too bad a lifespan, really.

> And, to make matters worse, I had to
> rebuild the damned thing only 6 months or so after I installed it!!  I
> suppose that I should've raised hell with TRF.

Perhaps you should have; it's a bit late now. :-) It could have been a
part that sat on a shelf somewhere for many years before being sold.
Sometimes, even "new" cylinders should have truly new seal kits
installed, if that "new" cylinder is more than a few years old.

> So, now I suppose I'll just refill it, bleed it and watch it like a hawk
> for a while and see what happens.  I'm thinking that a round-trip UPS
> ticket to White Post Restorations for re-sleeving will be the way to go.

What would resleeving accomplish unless there is actual pitting or
scoring? Odds are a careful honing of the cylinder and a new Lucas
(formerly Girling) rebuild kit would cure the problem. Of course, make
sure that there's not a leak somewhere beyond the MC.

> Have others had similar experiences with new brake masters?  I don't recall
> if the TR6 cylinder is by Lockheed or Lucas/Girling, but perhaps it wasn't
> a good idea for Lucas to get into making BRAKING systems!!

I dunno. Girling's been making some pretty decent braking systems for
many, many years -- at one time good enough even for Formula One cars and
such, and Girling's been part of the Lucas companies for maybe 40 years
or more (anyone know exactly how long?).

--Andy