Re: Webers on TRs

To: highwaystar@juno.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Webers on TRs
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 07:56:27 -0500
Pouya asked:

> -What's the HP increase by doing this?

Simply bolting Webers on in place of *properly functioning*
SU's or ZS carbs will get you little to no horsepower.  Of
course, by the time most folks want to replace their carbs,
they usually aren;t working well.  However, without additional
mods (headers at a minimum, if not internal mods), you really
won't make much, if any at all, additional power simply by bolting
on a set of Webers.

> -Worth the cost?  I figure $1,000 for the carbs and another $500 for
>installation headache?

Depends why you want to do it - there's the "cool factor", or if you're
planning on racing the car and doing the other necessary mods to
take advantage of them.  Otherwise...

> -Hard to maintain?

No, not once they're properly dialed in.

> -Is my car going to sound like a hot rod? Positive answer to this
>question is enough for me not to do it :)

You might get a little more intake noise (especially if you use
low restiction filters like K&N) but that's about the only change.
Of course, if you run headers, and a Monza or other low restirction
exhaust and no air filters, it'll sound great!

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu