RE: TR6: Fun w/oil gauge feed

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR6: Fun w/oil gauge feed
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:54:21 -0700

< snip >
> > I replaced the guage with an electric unit.
>
> For those who want to retain the stock gauge, you can have a stainless
> steel braided oil line made up.

The SS/teflon line for the oil pressure gauge is a great idea. These lines
are used for HiPerf brake hoses and have been tested in very demanding
situations by racers (and pilots) all over the world. If absolute original
appearance is of little or no concern, this is a good way to go IMO. Plus
the SS/teflon lines (the real ones, not just the fake SS sleeve some people
throw over regular rubber hoses) look real sharp!

The problem with having such a line made up though, is the hose end required
for the back of the Smiths oil pressure gauge. It is 1/8-28 BSP, *not* a
common fitting in either Aeroquip or Earl's. If you don't have the proper
hose end you end up with a whack of adapters on the back of the gauge before
the SS/teflon hose begins.

There are two US sources of the Smiths oil pressure fittings for -3 hose.
Truechoice ($15 plus S&H) and Pegasus ($12 plus S&H). Both vendors are on
the web. And if you live in the UK, availability should be less of a problem
since BSP thread is much more common there (I assume).

I just received three such fittings from Think Automotive in the UK and will
be making up a SS/teflon line using -3 Aeroquip hose in the next few weeks.
I can report to the list if there is any interest.

BTW, the fitting at the block is less of a problem. The port in the TR6
block is 1/8-27 NPT. And the stock US spec car does have a NPT to BSP
adapter in the block. I have not seen NPT male fittings in any Aeroquip or
other catalogs so the adapter will have to remain. But you can use a regular
AN fitting on that end of the line since the NPT to AN adapters are common
as are the AN hose fittings.

Also, the BSP fittings I received are stamped with the Aeroquip logo FWIW.

BTW2, one distinct advantage of the mechanical gauge is the instantaneous
reading you get. An electrical gauge definitely has a delay built in. For
the temp and fuel gauges this is reasonable on a street car. I think the oil
pressure is a more critical reading so having it be instantaneous is a
definite benefit. JMO.

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---