RE: TRF Sale

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: TRF Sale
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 22:28:25 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"
I have met Charles on only one occasion as I was passing through Armagh
in 1996,  Bob's read on him fits to what I remember.  But that doesn't
matter one bit with regards to my preference for TRF.

I look at the purchasing of parts as how I can best supply my car with
what it needs to be what I want it to be.  (talk about a convoluted
sentence).    Price has a lot to do with it, as does the timeliness of
receiving those parts.  In some cases, I don't care if the parts get
here in a couple months or even longer. And if they don't make it, I can
still get them for what I would have paid if I originally went with
another supplier.  However, by planning my purchases around the sales
and in a quantity (dollarwise) to avoid shipping or at least minimize
it, I find that TRF prices can't be beat.   If I am wanting a single
part, or just a few, then there are other alternatives including the
Moss supplier locally who doesn't charge the shipping, but works closer
to retail.  Another alternative is the British Parts Connection, who
deals mostly with Moss, but passes along the supplier discounts. Or even
Victoria British.

Today, I received a TR3 Autumn Clearance Sale Flyer from TRF.  Since I
was planning on making a purchase in January for parts needed on
TS81802, I went through it and found about $150 worth of parts which
would have cost me over 200 if I waited another month or two.  The same
parts through Moss would have been about 235.   It will cost me 11 to
ship it, but it still saves me 20% more.

Whether I read or don't read what Charles has to say has no bearing on
my selection of a supplier. Whether I agree or don't agree with what he
says has no bearing on my selection...  My opinion of his personality
has no bearing...  You get the picture.  I would like to think that most
people are the same way.  If not, then there might not be the
camaraderie that is on this list.  I might not answer or ask a question
of someone because I don't like the way s/he presents her/him self
through email.  (And I can say that there are some out there that I feel
that way about)  But we are all part of the Triumph "family".  Just like
I put up with the gaff from a family member or friend I just ignore
(read: delete-key) that I don't want to accept or be bothered with.

If you choose not to purchase original or made like original or quality
parts then, feel free to throw the flyer/catalog or whatever away.  Then
write or call TRF and ask to be taken off their list.  I am sure they
would like to save the $2-4 it costs to maintain your name on their
list.

As always...  my .02 worth (although with inflation it might have been
.05)...

Later,
Carl F. Musson,

        You can't tell which way the car went
        by just looking at the road...
        TR3A's - TS25264L ('58 Almost Daily Driver)
        & TS81802LO - ('61 Concours d'Wannabe)
        Tampa, Florida (USA)
        http://www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/
<http://www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/>