Re: Help For A Novice

To: richard jackson <richard.jackson@nene.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Help For A Novice
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 09:59:31 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Comments: ( Received on motgate2.mot.com from client mothost.mot.com, sender daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com )
Ahhhh Rich,
        You've just reminded me of a sad (but very funny, as long as you're not
too closely involved!) story relating to a friend who shall remain
nameless and his newly completed restored Herald.
        This vehicle has been rebuilt from the ground up. EVERYTHING is new.
Now around 3-4 years ago, as this Herald was being finished for it's
first show season, the owner was doing a few final jobs, including
adjusting the tappets. The work was being done inbetween jobs on his
garage. The doorways of the garage had been rebuilt, and all the cement
was still wet. So the scene is set......
        He goes to turn the engine by using the starter button on the solenoid
(this is a nice, shiny, new old stock solenoid), and finds the car is in
gear, and starts moving. When he released the button, the contact didn't
disengage, and the car kept moving until it hit the newly rebuilt garage
door pillar, demolishing that, wrecking the NEW chrome headlamp rim and
overider on one side, scraping the NEW paint down to the
metal........... he eventually got to the battery and disconnected it
(just as the starter motor was about to burn out - the car was jammed
solidly into a pile of bricks by this time!).
        The car has been used quite a bit since, but it's never been the
same.....
        Cheers,
                Bill.

--

    /============\      William Mark Davies,
   /              \     Test Development Engineer,
====U============U====  Fax         :  +44 (0) 1793 568233
\____________________/  Pager       :  +44 (0) 839  624089
 | |              | |   Email       :  daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com

" Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does
not become a monster. And when you look long into the abyss, the abyss
also looks into you. "
                           Friedrich  Nietzsche