Re: TR6 cylinder -- sleeves or recessed bores, or ???

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 cylinder -- sleeves or recessed bores, or ???
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:24:50 GMT
On 24 Nov 1998, Andrew Mace wrote:

> I was always given to understand that there was
> simply an additional recess at the top of the bore, for reasons I never
> fully understood.

The recess was to make room for a double metal rings in the top gasket, to
supposedly make the gasket stronger around each bore.

I once converted a 'new' gasket to 'old' spec. by carefully removing the
extra metal ring and even chopping of the extra tab for good measure. Worked
just fine.

> But why would the blocks have been sleeved from new?

I've also heard of blocks that were sleeved from new, with an explanation
that this was done were there were imperfections in the cast bore.

The sleeving material must be strong: I had an engine with sleeves (can't
tell if it was original), and I never noticed any wear. Until the
piston and rings in one cylinder started to disintegrate, and pitted the
cylinder wall, that is.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92027705 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway