Re: TR6 cylinder -- sleeves or recessed bores, or ???

To: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 cylinder -- sleeves or recessed bores, or ???
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 23:28:37 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Dave Terrick wrote:

> Andy, and list,
>
> Contrary to your comment the other day, those are indeed sleeves in the
> block.  This IS a factory procedure and the documentation is available for
> the spec about how far extra the sleeve is to be inserted on those cars.
> You may note that some of the big 3 have shown those sleeves in
> catalogues.... not that we ever get to the point of overbore wear before we
> destroy the block for those shitty thrust washer induced problems !!!

Yes, I'm aware sleeves are or were available for these engines as shown
in factory and vendor spare parts catalogues. And I can't say for sure
either way that the engine originally inquired about has sleeves.

But are you saying that all these Spitfire, GT6 and TR6 engines from 1972
on -- "UE" low compression engines for the U.S. -- were, in fact, sleeved
new from the factory? I was always given to understand that there was
simply an additional recess at the top of the bore, for reasons I never
fully understood. But why would the blocks have been sleeved from new?
It's not as if they were aluminum castings and needed a harder cylinder
wall. (No Chevy Vega jokes, please.)

Anyone else care to jump in here with the documentation that I can't seem to
lay my hands on tonight? (All I can find are references to different head
gasket part numbers for the lower compression engines beginning in 1972.)

--Andy, not arguing here but getting curiouser and curiouser....