Installing Shocks w/ No Engine or Body

Subject: Installing Shocks w/ No Engine or Body
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:07:39 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello all,

Time (I'm afraid) for another question. I have an empty frame that I am
rebuilding my front suspension on. I'm having a terrible time trying to
compress the springs enough to mount the shock absorbers. I used a spring
compressor that goes where the shock is to install the springs themselves,
but that won't help now that the shocks are in. When I try jacking up the
hub a little it just lifts the whole frame up off the stands --- not enough
weight to compress them at all.

Any tricks out there for compressing these when there is no weight on them?

Thanks,

Dave Moag
77 Spitfire
62 TR3B