RE: '70 GT6+ What Carbs?

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: '70 GT6+ What Carbs?
From: "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" <Andrew.Lindberg@Corp.Honeywell.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:02:00 -0600
john donohoe wrote: I already did the rebuild kit including seals,
diaphragms and Grose jets but noticed no major difference--still running
real rich, can't get an idle at all under about 1,200 rpm, no low end torque

John,

FWIW, my 1970 GT6+ had the same symptoms.  I blocked off the bypass valves
and the idle settled down and the car ran fine.  There's one bypass valve on
each carb, close to the temp compensator.  I cut a piece of aluminum can to
roughly the right shape and then reattached the bypass valve.  Why did I do
this?  One of the books I own said that if the bypass valve was stuck open,
the car would idle too fast.  The book didn't report any nasty side effects
of it being stuck shut, so that (in effect) is what I did.

It's cheaper than a carb rebuild so you might try it first.  On the off
chance that this cures your problem, repair kits are available for the
bypass.  I've never bothered because I have no idea what the idiot things do
anyhow.  Or the temp compensators either for that matter.

 -- Andy (1970 GT6+ in Minnesota.  Out and driving today)