Re: TR4 Brake Calipers

To: Schloss3@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Brake Calipers
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:54:29 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< Taking a survey here.  For you TR4 owners, what type of brake calipers
have?
 I have a choice between the split caliper type and the one piece type with
the
 bridge pipe.  The split calipers are apart and according to Moss, this should
 not have been done because of the lack of information to rebuild them.  Also,
 there are O rings between the two halves does not seem to be available.  Has
 anyone had these sucessfully rebuilt?  The easy solution would be the one
 piece calipers, but wanted to find out whether getting them back together was
 feasible.  By the way, the PO had dismantled these, not I.  I've ordered
 rebuild kits and pistons since they are the same for both types.  I want to
 get new hoses and these are different.

 Paul Brandsema
 High Point, NC
 61 TR4 CT133 >>

The 1 piece calipers w/ the bridge pipe were the original type used on TR3's.
Changed to the split type somewhere in TR3 production, no TR4's ever came w/
these. Should work tho'. I believe the pistons and seals are all the same.
Have these on the 3A and split type on the other 2 cars.
No experience with putting the 2 halves back together, don't think I would
try. Used calipers have gotta be a dime a dozen. Rebuild with new pistons and
seals is easy.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B