Re: TR4 Brake Calipers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 Brake Calipers
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:20:50 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Cliff Hansen wrote:

> I don't know about the very early TR4 calipers that you might have, but
> the later TR4 and TR4A calipers can be rebuilt.  Moss' catalog shows the
> differences, basically, TR3A/B calipers got used on the first 4000 TR4s.

Nope.  The "single-piece with bridge pipe" calipers Paul described are
TR3/3A.  The early TR4 (to CT4689 wire wheels & CT4387 disc wheels) used
the Girling Type B split caliper.  Later TR4s used the Girling Type 16P
caliper, which was used on all subsequent big TRs. The TR3B, which didn't
go into production until after the TR4 had been on the market for several
months, used the 16P caliper.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net