RE: Haynes Manual

To: "'Shawn Loseke'" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>, Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Haynes Manual
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:28:42 -0600
I'll support what Shawn says with some personal obervations about the Haynes
manuals.

On the downside for the Triumphs there's typically one Haynes that tries to
cover the whole model range... using only one teardown example.  We all know
how little Triumph changed the cars during their lifetime  :-)  My Haynes
for the Spitfire covers '62 to '80....

On the plus side Haynes is good for suggesting non-factory methods for
accomplishing a task that normally requires a special (and unobtainable)
factory tool.  The Haynes for my old Opel Manta (only covered something like
'71 to '75... very little change :-) suggested a home method for installing
suspension bushings when the factory manual referenced a special tool and
press.  That actually worked very well!

Both Haynes and Bentley seem to be good for the "replacement is the reverse
of the removal process" type of poor instructions.

JMO

Jim