Re: Figure 8 gasket sealing compounds

To: aamatruda@email.mc.ti.com
Subject: Re: Figure 8 gasket sealing compounds
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 22:51:26 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> The machine shop is about to press in the liners into my new block (long
> ugly story) and they would like to know if there is any recommended sealing
> compound to go on the Figure 8 gaskets.  The manual does not suggest using
> any sealer, but as the shop puts it "a lot has changed since that manual has
> been written".  Any suggestions from those with successful rebuilds out
there?
>   Thanks
>
>  Andy Amatruda

Andy, the TR4 workshop manual says "Fit the new figure 8 gaskets coated with
jointing compound."  The Haynes manual says "Smear the liners and seal areas
with a sealing compund and fit the liners in position taking care not to
damage the seal."  Both stress cleanliness.  They are not any more specific -
suggest that your mechanic clean both surfaces carefully and then use a modern
sealer that will work in the environment of cooling system fluid flowing
around the figure 8.  Cheers.

Art Kelly