Re: Figure 8 gasket sealing compounds

To: aamatruda@email.mc.ti.com
Subject: Re: Figure 8 gasket sealing compounds
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:16:09 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< Sorry to bomb the list with this as I believe there was some discussion on
this recently.  The machine shop is about to press in the liners into my new
block (long ugly story) and they would like to know if there is any
recommended sealing compound to go on the Figure 8 gaskets.  The manual does
not suggest using any sealer, but as the shop puts it "a lot has changed since
that manual has been written".  Any suggestions from those with successful
rebuilds out there?  Thanks

 Andy Amatruda
 1967 TR4A
 CTC72209 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Andy
I used "Well-seal" on the joints in my spare engine. Read somewhere that this
stuff is recommended on the figure 8 joints. Got it from TRF. As I haven't had
cause to yet utilise the spare engine, I don't have any input as to efficacy.
Seems to me if you put the liners in dry, you should use the copper ones. Also
double check the height of the liners above the block. There was a thread here
a while back about liners out there that were the wrong length.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4