re: TR6 Differentials

To: lee.k.janssen@lmco.com
Subject: re: TR6 Differentials
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 15:23:02 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I believe the article that you are referring to is quoting J.K. Jackson
with regard to limit slip diffs for TR6.

I actually have a quaiffe and a Detroit Locker - although I have yet to
install them (next year, fer sher!). The Salisbury unit referred to is very
tough to obtain and $$$ expensive - figure $1500 for the parts and another
$200 or so to install it - more if you have any worn parts in the diff.

You can find Lockers occasionally for $300 to $400 and Quaiffes are easily
available, but forget about "big discounts" if you decide to buy one.
Figure about $1100 for the parts for a discounted price.

I'm installing the Quaiffe in a car with _very low_ gears, 4.88 to be
exact, and I intend to put the locker in my normal TR6 in keeping with its
D Street Prepared status - with 3.70 gears.

I have had a lot of problems with the stock open diff. setup when I autox -
I have a stiff sway bar in the rear, and I keep lifting the inside rear
wheel on hard corners when under acceleration. This causes major wheel
spin, and that means I'm not getting the power down to the pavement. Any
solution is better than that.

The biggest advantage to the Salisbury unit is that it is mechanically
adjustable - that way you can "soften" the amount of lock that you get to
make it a bit easier to power out of corners.

JK, by way of coincidence, sells Salisburys Power Lock diffs. I think he
gets them from a source in the UK. FWIW, all the "big TR's" diff center
sections are the same, so if you find someone with a TR4 with a Locker, you
could pull the guts out and swap 'em into your TR6...

I'll probably report to this list when I get a limited slip in my DSP TR6 -
I've done a lot of AutoX in that car - so I'll be able to provide some
meaningful feedback about how much it helps...

See Ya,
rml
TR6's with _boxes_ of TR6 parts all over the place.