DOT 5/Brake servos/Unintended Deceleration

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, TomAndKate@compuserve.com
Subject: DOT 5/Brake servos/Unintended Deceleration
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:04:59 EST
On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:42:54 -0500
Tomislav Marincic <TomAndKate@compuserve.com>
Wrote Subject: DOT 5/Brake servos/Unintended Deceleration

        Listerati,

        An interesting note from the Dec/Jan issue =

        of British Car (please don't sue me Gary),

        Apparently, "AP Lockheed/Girling" has issued =

        a tech bulletin saying that silicone-based DOT 5 =

        brake fluid should not be used with "remote =

        Lockheed brake servos" (do our Girlings count?). =

        The fluid seems to cause the air metering valve to =

        stick, causing the brakes to fail to release after =

        being applied. They are voiding warranties on any =

        servo used with DOT 5.

        Best Regards,

        Tom Marincic
        =
***********************
I do not have time to get into long threads and arguments about the pros and
cons of DOT5 v DOT 4 etc, as we have done that all before, but regarding the
above submitted data. I can personally confirm that is exactly what happened
on my Triumph Herald fitted with a Lockheed remote mounted brake Vacuum Servo.
After I converted from DOT4 to DOT 5 without changing the rubber parts
throughout the entire system. The only thing that solved the problem was to
convert back to DOT 4. I never had the problem again.
However, My Triumph Vitesse also has a Lockeed Servo unit, but has always used
DOT 5 fluif from new, and has (so far) not experienced any problems!!!
I suspect that it has something to do with the swelling of the natural rubber
seals in the unit, when the fluids are changed over.

Drive (and stop) safely
Leon F Guyot
"I build my cars to go, not to stop!"
Ettore Bugatti