London-Cape Town Rally

To: Dave Eaton <dezn490@wadnr.gov>, amace@unix2.nysed.gov, Herald948@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Jane Burdekin <burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us>, Phil Pattengale <philpatt@net-link.net>
Subject: London-Cape Town Rally
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:12:18 EST
Interested Listers:

After some investigation, here is a message from the Rally Event secretary,
who is an old TSSC friend of mine:
As I understand it John and John are currently holding on to a 'Silver
Medal'.  They dropped from gold because they went 'straight on' at a
hairpin and bent the chassis but they are carrying on and hope to
straighten it during the rest day this weekend.
Dated 06.11.1998
And from Thomas Schmid in Munich, Germany:
The news is not too good, but I have no doubt, that the boys will fix it:

(schnäpt from the Mustang team site)

John Thomason in the Vitesse was not so lucky, going straight on at a
hairpin and crashing into the side of the mountain. (ouch!)
The car came away with the chassis bent and the engine,
radiator and front suspension pushed back a few inches. He limps on!

The Vitesse spent 11 hours in the garage having chassis straightening
and welding attempted.
They finally got back to the Hotel at around 2am, sat in the bar for
an hour to unwind, had 4 hours sleep and then were off again.
More will follow as I find out what is going on!

Regards
Leon F Guyot